Tooth-Colored Fillings: A Safe and Natural Looking Alternative
Dental fillings are used to restore teeth that have been damaged by tooth decay. The development of tooth-colored fillings, also known as composite fillings, has provided dentists and patients with a safer and more attractive alternative to silver amalgam fillings which contain mercury. By precisely matching tooth-colored composite fillings with the natural color of your teeth, a skilled dentist is able to provide you with white fillings that are virtually invisible. Many patients also opt to have older amalgam fillings replaced with composite fillings. The removal of old amalgam fillings can provide patients with a more esthetically pleasing, silver-free smile.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
• Matches the look of existing teeth for a natural and esthetically pleasing appearance
• Mercury-free, they are made from non-toxic material that is strong and durable
• Safe way to repair damage from tooth decay, smooth out uneven areas, fill in gaps or replace older or metal fillings.
• Strengthens the original tooth since the material bonds to the tooth chemically which does not happen with metal fillings.
• Tooth sensitivity is minimal and brief after fillings are placed