EAST LONGMEADOW AND NORTHAMPTON, MASSACHUSETTS – Periodontal disease not only affects your mouth, it can threaten your overall health, as well.
Increased risk of heart attacks, delivering preterm babies, and difficulty keeping blood sugar levels under control in those with diabetes are a few of the possible health complications associated with gum disease. Studies have shown that 80 percent of adults currently have a form of gum disease, according to the Colgate website.
“The longer you keep plaque on your teeth, the more harmful it can become,” says a Northampton MA dentist Dr. Vincent J. Mariano. “This bacterium causes an inflammation called gingivitis, where the gums become swollen and bleed easily.”
The dentists at EMA Dental, a Northampton, MA cosmetic dentist and multi-service provider, agree that oral hygiene is key to preventing extensive restorative procedures.Dr. Mariano, a dental implants expert, explains a few tips to help prevent gum disease.
- Brush At Least Twice a Day- Brushing thoroughly removes plaque and tartar from surface areas before it can harden. Using a fluoride toothpaste can help prevent decay, as well.
- Floss Daily- This is the only way to remove plaque from surfaces the toothbrush can’t reach.
- Mouthwash- Antiseptic mouthwash can get rid of the hidden bacteria in the mouth.
- Eat A Well-Balanced Diet- “Be smart about your meal choices; you can’t go wrong with fruits and vegetables,” says Dr. Mariano.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly- Routine check-ups and professional cleanings will keep you a step ahead in the fight against gum disease. A dentist can intervene if you have any signs of periodontal disease, such as: bad breath, swollen gums, loose teeth or sensitive teeth.
Keeping up with your routine appointments and following proper hygiene protocol can help the fight against gum disease. You can even consider teeth whitening, acosmetic dentistry service we provide in office, to add to your beautiful healthy smile.
© 2011 Master Google and EMA Dental group. Authorization to post is granted, with the stipulation that Master Google, provider of SEO work, is credited as sole source. Linking to other sites from this document is strictly prohibited, with the exception of herein imbedded links.